Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Rubbed the wrong way

Saturday I did somewhere around 15 miles. And what a perfect day to do that many miles. I jest of course!!

It was hot.

It was humid.

It was Houston.

We left the park around 6:10 in the morning and stopped at every water fountain on the way to our first 'official' water stop about 4 miles out.

I was feeling good. No problems except for being hot, but that is to be expected.

We then took off for water stop number two - on the out skirts of down town. And I am still feeling great. No pains, the legs are just wanting to go go go! Loving it! Except for the heat. And you know what comes with heat - sweat! And that stuff is just dripping off me. There is no way you could find a dry spot on my body.

WS#2 comes and goes and we make our way into down town then back to WS#2 - which is now WS#3. Starting to feel a little more tired, but hey - what do you expect after doing close to 9 miles!

On the way back to WS#1 - which is now WS#4 and WS#5 - I start feeling some pain in my toes. Uh oh! Then the bras start feeling a little tight in specific areas. Not good.

I do some adjusting of the bras, but there is no way I am taking off my shoes. Who knows what is going on in those things!

Miles 10 and 11 pass. Still doing okay, but I am getting tired.

Miles 12 and 13 pass a little more slowly. But look there is a sprinkler up ahead. Wouldn't that feel good in this oppressive heat?

YES!!

So I go through.

Only one problem, my shoes get a little too wet. They were wet before from sweat. Now they are even extra squishy. Hmmm, maybe not the best thing to do. But it felt so good!

Mile 14 is now behind me and it is the home stretch. I can do this. Squishy shoes and tight bras be damned!

And there it is - the picnic table and my TNT buddies. Yeah for me!

Now it is time to rid myself of the shoes and what do I find. Two blisters on the sides of both my ring toes (you know, the ones next to your pinkie toes).

I then go to the car to remove one of the bras and put on another shirt. No blisters there, but there sure were a lot of chafe marks. In places I have never had chafe marks!! And I had lubed up good with Body Glide that morning.

I can't wait for the weather to start cooling off. Running will be so much easier and less painful then.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great report. Very nice run. Now nurse those blisters and get back out there. :)

TX Runner Mom said...

Great run report! I feel your pain with the chafing issues...my sports bra has been leaving some crazy marks where I've never had issues before. This weekend will be cooler and less humid, so hopefully that will help!

Anonymous said...

Try the 4x sodium gels on those extra sweaty days...taste nasty (latte is the best so far)...but work good...at least for me.

Bras too stretched out??? =?

Jill said...

Hey Miss Chris,

Yeah - the bras are probably a little too old!! I need to buy some new ones!

I have tried the 4X sodium gels and think they work great. Actually, I like the plain flavored one. It tastes a little salty, but that is fine with me. I LOVE salt!!

Courtney said...

I am so proud of you! That was an awsome run. Yes, Houston is definately hot this time of year! I hope it cools down for you soon!

Erin said...

I was hot just sitting at that water stop all morning! I still don't know how y'all managed to 15 miles in that heat. That would've killed me. So YAY for you!! You rock!! Hope the tootsies get better soon.

Erin said...

PS ~ I'll be out there again this weekend for your 18-miler. Looks like it's gonna be cooler & less humidity for you. HOORAY! :)