Saturday, June 14, 2008

On the road to recovery

I hope so anyway.

Wednesday I got a shot of Depo-Medrol (corticosteroid) in the shoulder area and in a week I will be seeing a physical therapist about a treatment plan. Let's hope that it works and I can regain full use of my shoulder.

The doctor did say I could start riding my bike again, so I went for a ride with my friend Debi and the Bike Barn group yesterday morning. On my way over to the meet up point I wondered if I would be able to make it the whole ride because I could already tell that my shoulder would bug me. It wasn't painful, but the continued pressure made things uncomfortable. By the time we made it to downtown I was ready to quit but figured Debi would want to go the whole route - which included continuing over to UH then around the Med Center. Well, she mentioned she wished we could just go back to the store - and I was more than game! So back to Rice Village we went.

After that we headed over to la Madeleine for some breakfast. I had a spinach, mushroom and red pepper omelette with fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice. Yum! It would have been better with tomatoes, but they are not making anything with fresh tomatoes there. I understand where they are coming from, but figure they can buy locally grown produce. After that I biked back home giving me a total of 24 miles for the day. Overall it wasn't a very aggressive ride, but considering that I haven't been on a bike for two months I think I did okay. I will not be doing any century rides anytime soon, but at least I am back in the saddle!

Saturday I went for a little run around the golf course. Can you believe it? Two days that involved exercise!!! I didn't do nearly as bad as I thought and I feel pretty good too!

Today was a rest day. I figured after all that strenuous exercise over the weekend I had to take a break! Tomorrow I will go for another run around the golf course. I gotta get ready because marathon training officially starts June 30 with my first long run of five miles scheduled for July 5. If you sign up for the San Antonio R'n'R Marathon they give you free on-line training through Active.com. Kinda cool if you ask me.

2 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I'm glad you're training again! I hope you get a good PT who solves the problem, instead of one like the ones I've had in the past, who only solve problems I'm not complaining of.

TX Runner Mom said...

Good to hear you're back out there! :-)