Thursday, July 31, 2008

Things to avoid

I have been to the nutritionist twice now. The first time was basically to get an introduction. She asked me my ultimate goal - lose weight, eat healthier. She then asked me about my eating habits, likes, dislikes, medical history, etc. We of course talked money (this is not cheap!) and then set up another appointment where she would evaluate my food diary and we would discuss menus and foods I should lean towards and foods I should avoid.

The second appointment was yesterday. And everything went pretty much as planned. My daily caloric goal is 1800 cal with 20-30% protein, 50-60% carbs and 20% fat. Nothing too shocking there. The shocking part came when she gave me a list of foods okay to eat, foods to eat in moderation (every other day), and foods to avoid. Well, on that avoid list are bananas, mangos, papaya, beans (black, kidney, pinto), popcorn, carrots and soy/tofu. Holy crap!! Those are some of my favorite things!! I guess I have to look at it like these things are now going to be my treats and not my normal everyday foods. The soy products are going to be difficult because a lot of vegetarian foods are made with this. I am not vegetarian, but I have tendencies towards it. All will be good!! I will survive!!

My next appointment is in three weeks and during that time I have to start incorporating these changes and keep-up with the food diary. I also have to start clearing out my fridge, freezer and cupboards of all of my forbidden fruits ... and tofu and beans and ...!

4 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Those are some odd things to avoid, since they're healthy foods. What was her rationale?

Tiggs said...

I would say mostly because they are "bad" carbs- high glycemic load. I have been on virtually the same food plan you described for several years. I dropped 20 pounds and have kept it off.

Viv said...

Black beans would be a tough one for me. Good luck with the plan.

Jill said...

I think some of the rational behind the list was partly due to glycemic load. But there were items on the good list (like pineapple) and stuff on the bad list (like sunflower seeds) which did not follow the same rules. It is just a guide, but I think I will have to check out the glycemic index stuff.